Tuesday, October 18, 2011

Surgery anxiety? Knit it away!

Last week, I mentioned that I had to have my gallbladder removed.  Because I was getting stressed about the surgery (I also mentioned in a post that I was diagnosed with medical PTSD a while ago), I started knitting.

I haven't really poured myself into a project in a while.  Maybe it's because I have three little kids running around, who are fascinated with pulling the stitches off the needles (or "noodles," as my two year old calls them).  Or maybe I've just been lazy.  Or whatever. 

No matter.  To deal with the anxiety, I started a cool knitting project.  I wanted to make a scarf, but I have about a billion scarfs, so I wanted something different.  I found this pattern on knitty.com, which is an ultra-cool site that has a lot of nifty patterns. The scarf is worked in entrelac, and I've never worked a pattern in entrelac, but it's not nearly as difficult as it looks.  

The pattern also works great with some yarn that I bought that had no specific intention for, a new line of yarn (I think it's new) by Vickie Howell, the host of the show Knitty Gritty.  I can't find the wrappers for the yarn, but I think it's the "Love" line.  I got it at JoAnn Fabrics for like, $4 a skein, so the price was right.  I'm not sure yet how many skeins I'm going to need, but I don't think it'll be more than 6 or so.

The gallbladder surgery went well, so hopefully my anxiety will start to abate.  Til then, though, I'll just keep working on my scarf.

No comments:

Post a Comment