Friday, December 30, 2011

Fun With ECT Side Effects

As I mentioned the other day, I am starting to worry that my ECT treatments aren't having as much as an effect as they were when I first started them.  Christmas has been a little rocky, and my mood has definitely been "swingier" as of late.

To try to help myself out a little, I decided to turn to that evil apparatus that can be the bane of my existance, the treadmill.  Getting some endorphins going can't hurt my mood, and God knows I could stand to lose a few pounds.  So I hit the treadmill twice this week, and in all honesty I was pretty damn proud of myself.

Well, until Wednesday, that is.  After my ECT treatment on Wednesday this week, I had quite a bit of chest pain, and my blood pressure was also abnormally high for me during my treatment.  When I spoke to the nurse who called to follow up with me the day after my treatment, I told her about the chest pain, and she was alarmed enough to want to speak to the doctor about it before scheduling my next treatment.

So, speak to him she did...and he said he wouldn't give me another treatment until I had an EKG to verify my heart was okay.  And, of course, the next available doctor's appointment I could get with my general practitioner wasn't until next Wednesday, meaning I would also have to change my next ECT appointment.

Aside from having to move my ECT appointment, which was inconvienent, as of today I was still having somewhat (in my opinion) worrisome chest pains.  So I decided to go ahead and trundle on over to one of the lesser-used emergency rooms in he area to get checked out. I figured if nothing else they could do the EKG and I could get that out of the way.

On a side, snide note: the most irritating part of he whole experience was when the doctor came in to talk to me before they ran any tests, and said something to the effect of, "Well, you obviously have all these depression issues, so I'm sure it's not your heart."

I'm sorry, what exactly do those two things have in common?  It was very dismissive--and, frankly, kind of offensive.

Whatever. I guess he was on to something, offensive or not, because he said my tests didn't show anything abnormal.  He said he thought it was a problem in my chest wall -- in other words, I pulled a muscle either during my ECT treatment or, yep, you guessed it, on the treadmill.

Just to stoke my own idignation, I am going to blame the treadmill.  Who said a little hard work never hurt anyone?  All I know is that I've been miserable and in pain for two days, and blaming that damn treadmill sounds like a fine idea. Who said a little bit of hard work never hurt anyone?

No comments:

Post a Comment